Here are more in-depth details on how you can finally start your virtual bookkeeping business even if you are already working a 9-5 job. One great way to work from home is to start a virtual bookkeeping business. You can do this by learning all the right skills to become a virtual bookkeeper. Hubdoc is all about saving me time and increasing my gross margins.
- Debbie built her business to a team of 12 bookkeepers and started charging some of the highest rates in her industry.
- Typically, this includes a mailing address, local telephone number, receptionist to answer calls, physical office space, and access to a conference room that you can rent by the hour.
- You can always attend professional events, too, such as conferences and networking events.
- I highly recommend Bookkeeper Launch, which is an amazing long-form course that provides teaching, support, resources, and community.
- The digital age has brought endless possibilities to start online businesses of all shapes and sizes, so there’s something out there for all types of people.
If your revenue can’t support more help, find a way to simplify and streamline your business . Certain business realities signal us that we should make a change if we are to survive. Plan in advance how to measure results so you can know exactly how well you are doing.
Start a Blog
In addition, a bookkeeper is responsible for checking financial reports and figures for accuracy. Find out what you need to do to operate a bookkeeping business legally. You most likely need a local business license and general liability insurance. Call your auto or homeowner’s insurance agent and ask about types of small-business insurance products. Find out if bookkeepers need any special permits or licenses in your state.
- A bookkeeper’s work is applicable across many different types of industries — after all, every business needs to track and optimize its finances.
- Did you remember to acknowledge their birthday or their child’s high school graduation?
- It’s good to overestimate a little from what your average time may be on any given task.
- No matter the reason, running your own bookkeeping practice can be extremely fulfilling.
Although technology has reduced the need for human attention to some bookkeeping tasks, it has increased the need for people to operate these new systems. Plus, there is always a need for smart people who can make connections across different business areas and find creative ways to save money.
“How to Start a Virtual Bookkeeping Business”
Create a 30-hour training program, to train all her new contractors and employees. Through this training program, all her new hires could quickly and easily absorb Debbie’s 30 years of experiences and skills, and learn all her processes and systems. Many bookkeepers also feel like they’re just improvising when it comes to running business bookkeeping their businesses. They’re just “winging it” every day, and they’re often practicing what we call “hope and pray” marketing. Patricia got the systems, resources, and templates she needed to build her own 6-figure bookkeeping business. She found the shortcut she needed to start living the life she’d always dreamed of.
- Boomerang –Sending automatic recurring reminders to clients is easy using Boomerang.
- Depending on your training, certification, and experience you’ll learn to navigate different strategies and dial in what will help your company succeed.
- It’s also necessary to be extremely accurate, reliable and work with a high level of integrity when you’re managing the books for another company.
- In general, you need experience with bookkeeping and/or accounting on a professional level, plus experience with various accounting software, such as QuickBooks.
And I have hired a marketing company to get my name out there. This tool keeps me on track with my clients’ work and I can make sure things aren’t falling through the cracks. I love their recurring tasks and I also love how I can delegate tasks. Now, they are mostly people that are signing up for my training courses. Where are you going to save all those files once you get them?